Seminar on bioclimatic design and natural building
The aim of the seminar is to introduce the basic principles of bioclimatic design and the presentation of natural building techniques with clay soil, straw, wood and stone. The characteristics and properties of the materials are studied through their application at each stage of construction (foundations, masonry, coatings) and different techniques are tested in practice. The seminar concludes with a practical application of physical building techniques on a real scale. The parts of the seminar are the following:
1. Bioclimatic Design and Natural Building
- What is bioclimatic design and natural building?
- Historical background and introduction to the techniques/methods of physical building through a presentation of projects around the world.
2. Bioclimatic Design
- Introduction to the basic principles of bioclimatic design: natural environment, climate, positioning, lighting, ventilation, exterior and interior design.
3. Physical Building
- Introduction to the basic natural building materials: soil, clay, sand, straw, wood, stone.
- How we select and collect building materials.
- Introduction to the basic techniques/methods of natural building: cob, brick, straw and clay, straw bales, chutmas, rammed earth, bags of earth, stone.
4. Construction – Foundation / Drainage / Roof
- Introduction to the basic principles of foundation, drainage and roof construction.
- Methods and techniques of foundation, drainage, roof construction.
5. Construction – Masonry
- Introduction to the basic principles of masonry.
- Masonry methods and techniques.
- Practical application of strawballs, light clay technique.
6. Construction – Masonry
- Practical application of cob technique, pervasive.
7. Construction – Masonry
- Practical application of rammed earth technique, chatmas.
8. Construction – Flooring / Coatings
- Introduction to the basic principles of coatings and floor construction.
- Interior and exterior coatings: materials and techniques.
- Preparation and practical application of smear samples in crates.
9. Construction – Water Supply, Heating, Plumbing & Electrical Installation
- Introduction to the basic principles of water supply, water storage, heating, plumbing & electrical installation.
- Equipment, installation techniques and methods.