New Guinea is a practical expression of our belief that human activity can be integrated into the natural environment and become a regenerative factor for local communities and the ecosystems that surround them. This project was created to seek and study healthy and meaningful connections with nature and the people around us, with the aim of creating a new culture with local characteristics based on solidarity and respect for life as a whole. New Guinea’s activities aim to develop tools and practices that promote resilience and self-reliance at an individual or collective level and at the same time support people and communities in the transition to a sustainable and balanced way of life, in the face of the multiple systemic crises that are intensifying before us.
Our action is developed along three main axes:
- Design and installation of sustainable production systems, based on the principles and patterns that govern the functioning of natural ecosystems, which meet the needs of the people who manage them while contributing to the regeneration of the natural landscape.
- Developing and sharing practical skills that enable basic daily needs to be met in a sustainable and ecological way, enabling active involvement in the production process and reducing dependence on services and products of the globalised market.
- Creating intellectual tools and techniques for developing creative interactions between people on a collaborative and solidarity basis and enhancing positive feedback mechanisms at the community level.
Specifically, our activities include the following:
- Study, design and implementation of permaculture and renewable energy systems at farm level.
- Organisation of educational activities (courses, multi-day seminars, activities in schools, etc.) and publication of books with educational material.
- Organisation of information events and festivals.
- Research and development of different techniques to adapt to local conditions.
- Networking and cooperation with similar projects in Greece and abroad.